GA
A member asked about a 45-year-old male:

My husband got a terrible sunburn on his legs and feet. his feet and legs are so swollen he said it feels like they are splitting. should he go to in?

Dr. Richard Schneider
Integrative Medicine 46 years experience
Sunburn: There are various degrees of sunburn. There can be significant inflammation, some swelling as well as the risk of infection. He needs to see his PCP for further evaluation.
Probably: If the skin swells enough it can actually act like a tourniquet and cause a dangerous reduction in the blood flow to his leg muscles/skin. If you press on the skin it should turn pale and return to normal quickly after you remove pressure.If feels tight and the pallor remains for more than a second or two,it is worth having it evaluated on an urgent basis.