VA

my doc gave me paxil and abilify (aripiprazole) , then the pharmacist said there is a major interaction and to not take them together. i see alot of ppl take these.

Dr. Johanna Fricke
Developmental and Behavioral Pediatrics 50 years experience
A low dose, 2-5 mg: daily,is usually okay. Your psychiatrist will monitor the effects of the aripiprazole, low doses of which are added for depression if symptoms are not controlled by SSRI's. Coadministration of paroxetine, fluoxetine or cinacalcet, inhibitors of the liver enzyme CYP450 2D6 may ^ the plasma concentrations of aripiprazole, which is partially metabolized by the same enzyme. Check with your doctor.
Dr. Lynne Weixel
Clinical Psychology 36 years experience
Needs to be watched!: The pharmacist is actually right to warn of serious possible interactions. They may not happen often, but you need to watch carefully and contact Dr ASAP if you feel drowsy, faint, have any muscle jerks, twitches, low BP, etc. Get the list from them to know what to do. It's important! Glad you asked - be safe!
Neurology 52 years experience
Lots of experts: Would have your doctor talk with the pharmacist. I think direct confrontation can help clarify issues. In my opinion, if a pharmacist has a problem with a doctor's prescription, a phone call should ensue to the doctor, not provide confusing advice to the patient.

Last updated Oct 24, 2017