U.S. doctors online nowAsk doctors free
A female asked:

My boyfriend has started making suicidal comments and i'm not sure what to do. he told me he has questioned taking his own life after a bad night due to heavy drinking. he doesnt self harm that i know of but does get very angry and physical when drunk (he

1 doctor answer4 doctors weighed in
Dr. Dominic Riganotti
Infectious Disease 26 years experience
Do something now: You should get him some help as soon as possible. Maybe involving his parents or siblings. When drinking the tendency of a successful suicide event will be increased. People can be Baker Acted for 72 hours in the event self harm is near. Medications can make the world of difference
Dr. Ed Friedlander
Pathology 45 years experience
This is very good advice. Nothing you could do for him would be kinder than taking decisive action now. If you've presented a fair picture, Baker Act could save his life. Even more important is ensuring your own safety.
Mar 18, 2015

90,000 U.S. doctors in 147 specialties are here to answer your questions or offer you advice, prescriptions, and more. Get help now:

Ask doctors free
Educational text
Talk to a doctor
24/7 visits - just $39!
50% off with $15/month membership
Last updated May 2, 2015


Content on HealthTap (including answers) should not be used for medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment, and interactions on HealthTap do not create a doctor-patient relationship. Never disregard or delay professional medical advice in person because of anything on HealthTap. Call your doctor or 911 if you think you may have a medical emergency.