Florence, SC
A 33-year-old female asked:

I have been diagnosed with sphincter of oddi dysfunction which is painful in the abdomen area, what alternatives do i have to treat my back pain besides chiropractic which hurts it?

1 doctor answer1 doctor weighed in
Dr. Andrew Seibert
Gastroenterology 37 years experience
SOD: The answer really depends on details--mostly your labs and the size of your bile duct. Especially if you have Type I or II SOD, a gastroenterologist with special training in this area will likely be able to help. There is no proven role for chiropractic care for treatment of SOD. You should talk to your GI doc in more detail, and consider a 2nd opinion at a center specializing in SOD. Good luck.
Created for people with ongoing healthcare needs but benefits everyone.
Dr. Andrew Seibert
Gastroenterology 37 years experience
Provided original answer
By the way, I noticed you are in Florence SC. By chance, MUSC in Charleston happens to be a center with experts known worldwide for SOD treatment. I would consider a second opinion there.
Mar 18, 2015
Last updated Mar 22, 2018


Content on HealthTap (including answers) should not be used for medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment, and interactions on HealthTap do not create a doctor-patient relationship. Never disregard or delay professional medical advice in person because of anything on HealthTap. Call your doctor or 911 if you think you may have a medical emergency.