NJ

My moms bottom lip is swollen she have took benadryl (diphenhydramine) but the swelling hasn't went down yet what can she do or take and is she able to take a ib ?

Dr. Corey Clay
Allergy and Immunology 11 years experience
Lip swelling: Asymmetric lip swelling (bottom > top) is certainly suspicious for angioedema, which I assume is new for her. If new, she is likely having a reaction to something (eg food or medication). Since angioedema can progress rapidly to involve the throat and breathing, and since the antihistamine is not helping, I have to recommend going to the ER. is IB ibuprofen? probably won't help.

Last updated Jun 25, 2018