Livingston, CA

how can i loose weight if i'm hypothyroid? is there any medicine that's safe to take with levothyroxine for weight loss?

Dr. Thomas Knecht
Weight and thyroid: Hi. Assuming your hypothyroidism is treated, it's not the cause or a factor in your overweight/obesity. The 4 prescription drugs that are FDA-approved for chronic treatment for weight loss can all be used with treated hypothyroidism: Qsymia, Belviq, (lorcaserin) Contrive, and (when it becomes available), Saxenda. Eat healthily and exercise regularly. Talk with a doctor to see if weight loss drugs are indicated
Dr. Zachary Veres
You need to monitor thyroid levels to see if your treatment is optimal for hypothyroidism. Phentermine comes in multiple doses and is very safe and effective in weight loss and is great to take with levothyroxine. Also very cost effective unlike some others on the market.
Feb 25, 2015
Dr. Ira Katz
A Verified Doctor commented
A US doctor answered Learn more
I agree with the above completely, but want to point out that the initial weight gain may have been from you becoming hypothyroid. #1 Make sure your hypothyroidism is controlled. #2 Now that it is treated, UNFAIRLY the weight is like anyone else's & have an up hill battle. #3 Best tx. is diet/exercise. Above meds are good and more coming. #4 DO NOT USE HIGH dose thyroid meds, can be dangerous.
Nov 15, 2015
Dr. Stephen Southard
Several things: Remember that if you are hypothyroid, first you want to make sure your thyroid levels are reasonable. Second, when you mention weight loss, many factors go into figuring out if medications to assist in weight loss are appropriate. This is best determined between you and your doctor(s). There are multiple medications that can help and can be used with levothyroxine.
Dr. Edward Seegers
Hypothyroid+weight: MarthaP~ you have to be euthyroid (within normal range over a protracted period) and then you must diet and exercise like any normal person would to lose weight. Here is an interesting article from Mayo Clinic for you to read: http://www.mayoclinic.org/healthy-lifestyle/weight-loss/in-depth/weight-loss/art-20046409