Cupertino, CA
A male asked:

how long after wisdom tooth extraction am i at risk for dry socket? i had all 4 pulled, at least 2 were impacted, and one was near the sinus. ???

Dr. Aparnavalli Nayudu
Dentistry 23 years experience
Typically, symptoms for a dry socket develop 2 to 4 days after a tooth extraction.: Dry socket is more common in people with diabetes, smokers and women who take birth Control pills. The pain typically starts about 2 days after the tooth was pulled. Over time it becomes more severe and can radiate to your ear.Pain is associated with malodor and bad taste.Your dentist will clean the tooth socket, removing any debris from the hole,and then fill the socket with a medicated dressing.