U.S. doctors online nowAsk doctors free
A 29-year-old male asked:

Dear dr.yesterday i was severely beaten in my ribs and i felt a crack. although i have no evident inflammation, i constantly feel localized discomfort in the ribs and pain when perform certain movements or breathing deeply.should i see a doctor and take x

1 doctor answer8 doctors weighed in
Dr. Kathy Robinson
Family Medicine 34 years experience
See doctor: If you were severely beaten then it would be good to see a doctor to make sure there is no internal organ damage. They may or may not do xrays. If it is a cracked rib then taking an xray does not help much, because they just have to heal on their own. If you become short of breath you need to go to Emergency. I am very sorry this happened to you.
Created for people with ongoing healthcare needs but benefits everyone.
Dr. Ihab Ibrahim
Pain Management 31 years experience
Please speak to someone besides us here. a cough that wont stop, or difficulty breathing can be life threatening, and you should go to the emergency room immediately
Feb 5, 2015
Last updated Jun 27, 2015


Content on HealthTap (including answers) should not be used for medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment, and interactions on HealthTap do not create a doctor-patient relationship. Never disregard or delay professional medical advice in person because of anything on HealthTap. Call your doctor or 911 if you think you may have a medical emergency.