WI

in 2008 i weighed 300lbs and a fpg test of 125 mg/dl. today, i am 29 and weigh 360lbs with a fpg of 103 mg/dl. why is my blood sugar lower?

Dr. Ward Dean
Dr. Ward Dean answered
Anti-Aging Medicine 43 years experience
Hyperinsulinemia?: You may have insulin resistance and hyperinsulinemia. Insulin is the hormone that drives sugar into your cells where it is stored as fat. I suggest a low-carb diet, and the drug Metformin (1500-2000 mg per day). Metformin restores insulin receptor sensitivity, and reduces the production of glucose by your liver (which triggers more insulin). Exercise (15 min walk/day) will also help.
Dr. Ward Dean
Dr. Ward Dean commented
Anti-Aging Medicine 43 years experience
Provided original answer
Although Metformin is generally used for diabetes, in this case we're using it as a "metabolic rejuvenator" to restore insulin receptor sensitivity, and take a burden from the pancreas, to reduce the output of insulin. It will not cause hypoglycemia. Another medication that may help (when you fall off the wagon and consume carbohydrates), is Acarbose. Acarbose is a "starch blocker".
Jan 25, 2015
Dr. Ward Dean
Dr. Ward Dean commented
Anti-Aging Medicine 43 years experience
Provided original answer
Acarbose is the most widely sold anti-diabetic drug in China. It blocks the conversion of complex carbohydrates into glucose. Unfortunately, it's pretty expensive--so as a back-up, I often recommend White Kidney Bean Extract (WKBE) as a substitute. WKBE is an amylase inhibitor. Not as good as Acarbose, but a lot cheaper, and available over the counter in a health food store.
Jan 25, 2015