What exactly is a hormone?

Dr. Thomas Knecht
32 years experience
BIG question!: Hi. In general terms, a hormone is a substance made in one place in the body and active at other places (the target tissues). Hormones bind specific receptors in target tissues and modify cell/tissue function. Hormones come in 4 broad categories: peptides/proteins, steroids, biogenic amines, and fatty acid metabolites. I've got monster textbooks that try to answer that question! :-)
Dr. Michael Kleerekoper
A Verified Doctor commented
A US doctor answered Learn more
I fully agree with Dr. Knecht but would further suggest that you get onto the web and you will find many articles on the topic "Hormones". Many will be specifically for doctors but there will also be many for people like yourself that will be easier to understand.
Feb 2, 2015