A 37-year-old member asked:
Are magnetic toys dangerous to a child's health?
2 doctor answers • 7 doctors weighed in
Pediatrics 10 years experience
Don't swallow: The danger of magnetic toys is if the child is at an age where he/she can swallow the magnet. Swallowing magnets can cause serious intestinal problems, including perforation. I would refrain from buying toys with small magnets for babies and toddlers definitely.
2.9k viewsReviewed >2 years ago
Pediatric Neurology 51 years experience
Yes: For young children who are still mouthing things, toys with magnets can be aspirated. Many magnetic toys also use batteries. the small buttoon batteries can cause GI ulceration.
2.8k viewsReviewed >2 years ago
Last updated Nov 27, 2017
Connect with a U.S. board-certified doctor by text or video anytime, anywhere.
24/7 visits - just $39!
50% off with $15/month membership
Content on HealthTap (including answers) should not be used for medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment, and interactions on HealthTap do not create a doctor-patient relationship. Never disregard or delay professional medical advice in person because of anything on HealthTap. Call your doctor or 911 if you think you may have a medical emergency.