hello doctor, assume, a man has lgv and test only c.trachomatis igg or c.trachomatis pcr, should result come positive for chlamydia?

2 doctor answers
43 years experience Pathology
Rough disease: The diagnosis of lymphogranuloma venereum is primarily clinical. If my labs were equivocal or even nonsupportive but i was concerned that i had it, i would undergo the full, long course of treatment. I'd be interested in hearing from the infectious disease folks as well.
Answered on Apr 22, 2018
1
Dr. Hunter Handsfield
52 years experience Infectious Disease
LGV diagnosis: If you have sex only with women, don't worry about LGV. In the entire US, there have been only a handful of cases in women and straight men in the past 20 years. If you have sex with men, especially if your rectum has been exposed, the risk is higher. The blood test (IgG) is no longer recommended; the main test is PCR on swab from exposed site, e.g. rectum. If that's negative, you don't have it.
Answered on Apr 22, 2018