Idaho Falls, ID

i take to ritalin (methylphenidate) a day that last a total of 8 hours. but i work late at night. does that mean my adhd symptoms will come back after 8 hours?

Dr. Muhammad Munir
ADHD Meds: The meds for adhd are usually time dependent meaning stays in system for a duration then washout.Ritalin if you are taking the short acting will not be of much help if you are working late in the night.Discuss with your doc med adjustment or consider new gen long duration meds like Focalin (dexmethylphenidate) xr vyvanse Ritalin sr, Ritalin sr , concerta, Metadate CD metade er, Adderall xr.
Dr. Johanna Fricke
Developmental and Behavioral Pediatrics 50 years experience
As Dr. Munir said, : There are only 2 stimulant medications, but multiple delivery systems of each. Each has a different time-span for onset of action, peak of action, & duration of action every day.Team with your doctor to determine the optimal dosage & timing of the preparation(s) best suited to your needs, as non-stimulant adjuncts exist that provide 24/7 coverage after ~ a month of taking them.