San Jose, CA

If the affordable care act extends health insurance coverage to 30 million people, how will the current healthcare system be able to meet this demand?

Dr. Mahesh Allam
Complex answer: Using the current system & increasing coverage will not work. The new system will have a large primary care base for prevention and early detection of chronic disease & a smaller base for specialist care for the really sick people. Not everyone needs a "cadillac" to maintain good health when a "chevy" or "a bus" can work. Personal responsibility and nauseating profits need to be discussed as well.
Created for people with ongoing healthcare needs but benefits everyone.
Dr. Michael Turner
The answer is quite simple - the current system can not support coverage for an additional 30 million people. There are not enough primary care physicians to take care of this influx. I suspect that physician assistants and nurse practitioners will fill some of the void. Like every situation where there are limited resources, one can expect longer wait times, decreased accessibility, and fewer procedures performed over time. Quality of care will decrease as the government rations resources and places less qualified personnel into decision making roles. I am sure that foreign doctors immigrating to the United States will fill some of the void as we have seen in the UK. Overall, not a pretty picture.
Aug 2, 2013
Last updated Aug 2, 2013