U.S. doctors online nowAsk doctors free
A 47-year-old member asked:

I have had two back surgeries on my l4/l5. i had screws and rods placed in 2004. i live in pain everyday. i have pain in left leg and can't walk on it much. what should ido?

4 doctor answers10 doctors weighed in
Dr. Karl Haake
Anesthesiology 24 years experience
Back pain: Pain after back surgery is very common. There are treatment options for you including medication, spinal cord stimulation, and behavioral techniques to help cope with your pain. It is in your best interests to see a pain physician who uses a multidisciplinary or integrative approach to the treatment of pain.
Dr. Kenneth Choquette
Pain Management 36 years experience
Spinal Cord Stim: When a patient has failed to respond to all forms of treatment, including surgical intervention, they may be a candidate for advanced techniques, such as spinal cord stimulation. This is where a catheter is placed in the spine to electrically interfere with the pain signals coming from your back. Talk with your doctor about a referral to discuss those options.
Dr. Alan Moskowitz
Orthopedic Spine Surgery 49 years experience
Further evaluation: Before considering a spinal cord stimulator, it is very important that a complete evaluation be done to make sure there are no underlying structural problems that could be addressed. If thereis nothing else, then a spinal cord stimulator would possibly help.
Dr. David Rosenfeld
Pain Management 28 years experience
See pain specialist: There are many options available. Spinal cord stimulation is one option but i would suggest seeing a pain specialist first to be evaluated.
Last updated Oct 4, 2016


Content on HealthTap (including answers) should not be used for medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment, and interactions on HealthTap do not create a doctor-patient relationship. Never disregard or delay professional medical advice in person because of anything on HealthTap. Call your doctor or 911 if you think you may have a medical emergency.