NJ

If a resident and the attending both agree on diagnosis (radiology)is that like having two opinions?

Dr. Thomman Kuruvilla
Podiatry 23 years experience
One diagnosis: Of course its two opinions with the same answer. The important part is that both of your opinions were the same and most probably correct, hence the patient will get the care he or she needs.
Created for people with ongoing healthcare needs but benefits everyone.
Dr. Michael Braun
Radiology 36 years experience
Kinda of.: Residents are still in training under the supervision of the attending. The report reflects the attending's opinion when they read the case together. It is reassuring that they agree but it is rare that a student disagrees with their teacher. Usually having two people review a case is better than one even if the one is still a student of varying experience.
Dr. Michael Gabor
Diagnostic Radiology 34 years experience
It depends.: An inexperienced first year resident will form an opinion but will usually defer to the attending''s opinion. A more experienced, advanced resident may be confident and competent enough to generate an independent opinion. The important thing is that the team discusses the case and reaches a consensus.