Are babies born without kneecaps. I'm reading in my breast feeding book on newborns and this is what they say ?

Dr. Ahmad M Hadied
48 years experience in Orthopedic Surgery
Let me explain: Newborn have knee cap. Kneecaps form about the fourth month of fetal life. However, they don’t show up on x-ray very well because they’re not ossified, or bony. At this point in life, the kneecaps are made of a cartilaginous material. The growth centers surrounding the kneecap form late in developmental life in utero and may not appear until just before or just after the infant is born.
Answered on Sep 11, 2013
1