Farmington, ME

can copper supplementation lower zinc or iron levels?

Dr. Robert Jackson
Dermatology 43 years experience
Lower zinc: It can lower zinc levels.

Can I take iron supplements while breastfeeding?

Dr. Troy McGuire
Specializes in Pediatrics
Yes: You should definitely continue to take iron supplements while breastfeeding. Breast milk has tremendous nutritional and immunologic value for infants, but the iron content may be insufficient as the infant grows. To make sure that both your baby and you have adequate iron for health blood production, you should typically continue your prenatal vitamins while lactating.

Could iron-based formula be upsetting my baby's stomach?

Dr. Thad Woodard
Specializes in Pediatrics
No: I think this is unlikely but commonly believed, there is less iron in formula than in breast milk for example. It is more likely to be some other issue... Such as lactose intolerance or perhaps milk allergy.

If my baby has anemia, is it safe to give him iron supplements?

Dr. Roy Benaroch
Yes: Not only is it safe, but it is essential. Untreated iron-deficiency anemia can lead to permanent problems with school and behavior. Iron is absolutely essential to normal human health. If a baby's iron is low and he cannot get it in his diet, he must take supplements.

How can I get extra iron if I am pregnant?

Dr. Amy Herold
Supplements: Prenatal vitamins have a moderate amount of iron in them, but many pregnant women need additional iron on top of what is in their vitamin. There are many over-the-counter iron supplements, find one that is easy on the digestive tract and take it with vitamin C or orange juice to help your body absorb it better.

Hi im anemic and my doctor want me to do iron infusion and colonoscopy , why?

Dr. William A Biermann
Medical Oncology 46 years experience
Need more info: I suspect that your doctor has found that you have iron deficiency anemia. This is a very straightforward diagnosis to make. The colonoscopy is helpful to make sure that you are not losing it in the bowel. If oral iron is not helping then you might need IV iron to rapidly make up for what you can't get from pills.

Last updated Mar 26, 2013