U.S. doctors online nowAsk doctors free
A 37-year-old male asked:

my uric acid is increased what should i do?

3 doctor answers5 doctors weighed in
Dr. Ernest Bordini
Clinical Psychology 32 years experience
Depends on how high: You should consult your doctor since there are medications that can help depending on what symptoms you have andd how severe. At some levels dietary restrictions can help. See: http://www.Mayoclinic.Com/health/gout-diet/my01137.
Dr. Ed Friedlander
Pathology 44 years experience
Dr. Bordini is correct. Most people with mild elevations of uric acid never have trouble.
Mar 25, 2013
Dr. David Brouwer
Internal Medicine 30 years experience
Diet modification: High uric acid can lead to gout and kidney stones in some people. Try to reduce the purines in your diet, such as beans and meats.
Dr. Jack Rubin
Nephrology and Dialysis 48 years experience
High uric acid: You should see a doctor and have a 24 hour urine collection for uric acid (ua). If your urine has too much ua, you need to start allopurinol. If you have too little ua, you need to start colcrys. If you have a normal level of ua in your urine, uloric has to be used. Ua is a cardiovascular risk factor, so it is good to have it under control. Ask your doctor about your next steps to lower your ua.

90,000 U.S. doctors in 147 specialties are here to answer your questions or offer you advice, prescriptions, and more. Get help now:

Ask doctors free
Personalized answers
Talk to a doctor
24/7 visits
$15 per month

Similar questions

A 30-year-old member asked:

Whats uric acid?

2 doctor answers8 doctors weighed in
Dr. Danny Proffitt
Family Medicine 43 years experience
Metabolis by-product: Uric acid is formed in the process of metabolism of proteins by the body. It can also form with high cellular turnover in persons undergoing chemotherapy or treatment for cancer. Uric acid can get to high levels and precipitate out in the body in joints, soft tissues and in the kidneys to give "gout". Medications, diet, hydration are the treatments.
A 52-year-old male asked:

What to do when your uric acid high?

4 doctor answers14 doctors weighed in
Dr. Michio Abe
Internal Medicine 26 years experience
Uric acid: Uric acid comes from purines made naturally by your body as well as from purines in your diet. Avoid foods high in purines like red meats, organ meats, canned tuna, anchovies, mackerel, sardines, herring, mussels, scallops, shrimp and lobster. Avoid alcohol. Avoid sugar. Eat more plant-based proteins and drink lots of fluids. Choose low-fat or nonfat dairy products. The goa is <6.0 for hx of gout.
A 46-year-old member asked:

What foods can help to decrease uric acid?

1 doctor answer1 doctor weighed in
Dr. Steven Charlap
Holistic Medicine 37 years experience
Nothing: Any food that does not contain protein will not contribute to uric acid. Foods high in protein, iron, glucose, and processed sugar are also known to raise uric acid. Nn foods are known to decrease it. Certain drugs like Allopurinol are used to treat gout.
Saudi Arabia
A 52-year-old male asked:

What are the foods to avoid with excessive uric acid?

3 doctor answers6 doctors weighed in
Dr. Joseph Woods
Pathology 28 years experience
Red meat, etc.: The main foods to avoid or consume less of include red meat and seafood, also less dairy foods and milk, and foods with high fructose content. Increased vitamin c intake (foods with high vit c content) also helps, as does avoiding alcoholic beverages, which can dehydrate the body and thus increase the chance of a gouty attack. Losing weight also lowers the risk of a gouty attack and uric acid.
A 43-year-old member asked:

Uric acid increased to 7.2. Should i be worried?

1 doctor answer2 doctors weighed in
Dr. Ahmad M Hadied
Orthopedic Surgery 49 years experience
Watch it: A high uric acid level may result in attacks of gout, but not everyone who has high uric acid gets gout, and not everyone with gout has high uric acid.

Related questions

A 65-year-old female asked:
2 doctor answers3 doctors weighed in
A 34-year-old member asked:
2 doctor answers2 doctors weighed in
A 46-year-old member asked:
1 doctor answer1 doctor weighed in

90,000 U.S. doctors in 147 specialties are here to answer your questions or offer you advice, prescriptions, and more. Get help now:

Ask doctors free
Personalized answers
Talk to a doctor
24/7 visits
$15 per month
Last updated May 8, 2016
Connect with a U.S. board-certified doctor by text or video anytime, anywhere.
24/7 visits
$15 per month


Content on HealthTap (including answers) should not be used for medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment, and interactions on HealthTap do not create a doctor-patient relationship. Never disregard or delay professional medical advice in person because of anything on HealthTap. Call your doctor or 911 if you think you may have a medical emergency.