My male friend has blood in his urine, but no pain associated with it. he was diagnosed with a uti, but the test revealved a high protien count, ideas?

Dr. David Brouwer
UTI: If he is otherwise healthy it could all represent a simple bladder infection. However, UTI in a young male is not nearly as common as in women, so it might require further work-up by his physician. Protein or blood in the urinalysis is not unusual in the presence of a uti. He should have his urinalysis repeated after completion of antibiotics to ensure the protein and blood have resolved.
Created for people with ongoing healthcare needs but benefits everyone.
Dr. Jack Rubin
Nephrology and Dialysis 50 years experience
Proteinuria: You should have him go to a nephrologist. Proteinuria (p) is not a normal finding. He needs a 24 hour urine collection for creatinine clearance and protein to see what his kidney function is and how much p he has. If the blood work does not give answer to the cause of his p, and he has more than 1 gram of p/day, he may need a renal biopsy to arrive at a diagnosis and a prognosis of his p.