U.S. doctors online nowAsk doctors free
A 21-year-old female asked:

My male friend has blood in his urine, but no pain associated with it. he was diagnosed with a uti, but the test revealved a high protien count, ideas?

2 doctor answers3 doctors weighed in
Dr. David Brouwer
Internal Medicine 32 years experience
UTI: If he is otherwise healthy it could all represent a simple bladder infection. However, UTI in a young male is not nearly as common as in women, so it might require further work-up by his physician. Protein or blood in the urinalysis is not unusual in the presence of a uti. He should have his urinalysis repeated after completion of antibiotics to ensure the protein and blood have resolved.
Created for people with ongoing healthcare needs but benefits everyone.
Dr. Jack Rubin
Nephrology and Dialysis 50 years experience
Proteinuria: You should have him go to a nephrologist. Proteinuria (p) is not a normal finding. He needs a 24 hour urine collection for creatinine clearance and protein to see what his kidney function is and how much p he has. If the blood work does not give answer to the cause of his p, and he has more than 1 gram of p/day, he may need a renal biopsy to arrive at a diagnosis and a prognosis of his p.
Created for people with ongoing healthcare needs but benefits everyone.

Related questions

A 31-year-old female asked:
I have blood and protein in urine what does this mean UTI ?
1 doctor answer2 doctors weighed in
A 39-year-old member asked:
Found blood in my urine and it was not a UTI or bladder infection! any ideas?
2 doctor answers6 doctors weighed in
A 46-year-old member asked:
First protein, now trace blood in urine; is that a UTI starting?
2 doctor answers4 doctors weighed in
Last updated Aug 24, 2014


Content on HealthTap (including answers) should not be used for medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment, and interactions on HealthTap do not create a doctor-patient relationship. Never disregard or delay professional medical advice in person because of anything on HealthTap. Call your doctor or 911 if you think you may have a medical emergency.