i can't stop biting my back teeth and it is making my mouth and jaw sore. ideas how to stop?

2 doctor answers
Dr. Jose Chacon
17 years experience Orthodontics
Wear a nigthguard: If you can wear a nightguard during the day, and night it will prevent you from clenching your back teeth. This is usually due to stress. You can try some relaxation exercises, positioning your tongue in the roof of your mouth, and leaving a 2-3mm space between your top and bottom teeth. Feel free to send us an e-mail at [email protected] and we will be happy to provide more information.
Answered on Jun 20, 2015
1
Dr. Edmund Lipskis
39 years experience Dentistry
3 main reasons : There are neural reflexes that cause clenching associated with reduced oxygenation from airway issues. Also there is reflexive clenching and/or grinding associated with pain and/or inflammation signals being sent to the brain. If you can reduce those signals by diminishing those 2 issues, the biting issues generally diminish. The third reason is associated with stress/anxiety. Address that too.
Answered on Mar 26, 2013