Lafayette, LA

I took a 1mg ativan over 24 hours ago. is it safe to take an ambien (zolpidem) for sleep?

Ususally safe: If the medications were prescribed this is usually ok. I say that because i was once prescribed a benzodiazepine for a back injury - and slept for over 24 hours straight after taking one pill. In this case, i wouldn't give a sleep med to someone who was already very sedated. Normally it is fine to take the medications as you propose. Take care.
Dr. Robert Olsen
Yes.: If you have healthy kidneys, Ativan has a duration of less than 24 hours in the body after ingestion, and an effective anti-anxiety duration of 6-9 hours. It is eliminated through the kidneys, so variances in liver enzymes are not a factor.If you have taken Ambien (zolpidem) in the past without adverse effects, it is safe to do so now.

Last updated May 5, 2021