Lafayette, LA

I took a 1mg ativan over 24 hours ago. is it safe to take an ambien (zolpidem) for sleep?

Ususally safe: If the medications were prescribed this is usually ok. I say that because i was once prescribed a benzodiazepine for a back injury - and slept for over 24 hours straight after taking one pill. In this case, i wouldn't give a sleep med to someone who was already very sedated. Normally it is fine to take the medications as you propose. Take care.
Created for people with ongoing healthcare needs but benefits everyone.
Dr. Robert Olsen
Yes.: If you have healthy kidneys, Ativan has a duration of less than 24 hours in the body after ingestion, and an effective anti-anxiety duration of 6-9 hours. It is eliminated through the kidneys, so variances in liver enzymes are not a factor.If you have taken Ambien (zolpidem) in the past without adverse effects, it is safe to do so now.
Last updated May 5, 2021