MN

I have epilepsy, and am currently taking topamax and keppra, (levetiracetam) will either rhodiola or 5-thp have any interaction with my meds, or epilepsy?

Neurology 54 years experience
SEE BELOW: The Keppra (levetiracetam) will be unlikely to have any drug-drug interactions, but the topamax, being metabolized in the liver might. Maybe best question is "why do you need rhodiola or 5-htp?". Talk to your neurologist first, before modifying any of you supplements or meds.
Created for people with ongoing healthcare needs but benefits everyone.
Dr. Kerry Friesen
Preventive Medicine 32 years experience
One at a time: While Keppra (levetiracetam) and topamax do not interact, it is never wise to introduce to variables, in this case rhodiola and 5-htp. There is some evidence that 5-htp can reduce seizure activity, however it is the agent most likely to interact with your other meds. Also, 5-htp can cause GI side effects because of the plethora of receptors in the gut. Rhodiol is a neuroadaptagen that can reduce brain stress.
Last updated Jan 27, 2015