United Kingdom (Great Britain)

i have had tmj and muscle tightness. what should it feel like when muscles are loosening up . i think this is happening.

Dr. Bradley Dykstra
Dentistry 43 years experience
The pain will lessen: The pain will lessen and range of motion will increase.
Dr. Jeffrey Bassman
Dentistry 45 years experience
Good sign: Loosening of the joint/joints and the muscles could be good signs. But don't get too over confident too soon and create a setback. Still focus on no wide yawns, smaller bites and whatever therapy was recommended. Tmj/tmd can easily recycle and come back, sometimes worse.
Dr. Tony Menendez
Prosthodontics 37 years experience
No soreness: Palpation of the facial muscles will not illicit soreness. There should be a lack of trigger points and the face should look relaxed and no clenching.
Dr. Louis Gallia
Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery 45 years experience
Improved symptoms: If the muscles are loosening, the "tightness" you describe will decrease.