Gilroy, CA

can a d&c be done in drs. office under local anesthesia?

Dr. Jeff Livingston
Depends : Some doctors have the equipment and space to do this. Others do not. This will vary from practice to practice. Most will do this in the opertating room in a hospital.
Dr. Arian Mowlavi
Plastic Surgery 27 years experience
No: D&c is risky because it is associated with potential blood lost, therefore should be done in a controlled surgical environment.
Dr. Richard Pollard
Anesthesiology 30 years experience
No: The procedure of a d and c can have unforseen consequences and complications that can only be treated in an approved facility. The worst outcomes can only be handled in a hospital.
Dr. Gary Ritholz
Anesthesiology 30 years experience
Yes: D and c is done routinely in offices. It is generally done with deep sedation with medication such as propofol. Of course it needs to be done with an anesthesiologist present and with the usual emergency medications and equipment available.