New York, NY

Please name the pros/cons of a virtual colonoscopy vs a regular one? which one would you recommend first or only? why?

Dr. Andrew Turrisi
Radiation Oncology 47 years experience
Virtual colonoscopy: Is a real waste of resources. Get it done right with endoscopy. The prep is unpleasant, the procedure is over before you know. I've had 2. What is the point of virtual? You don't like the scope? It is less sensitive and if they find anything, you need the scope. Ka-ching, ka-ching...Twice the cost.
Dr. You Sung Sang
Gastroenterology 31 years experience
Pros and cons: Virtual colonoscopy pros: "safe"; cons: radiation (it's a ct scan, not covered by insurance, not as accurate, still need bowel prep real colonoscopy pros: therapeutic (if a polyp is found, it can be removed), covered by insurance. Cons: rare complications such as bleeding, perforation. Being a GI doc, I am naturally biased to latter.

Last updated Jun 20, 2014