Does a 7yr old need surgery for over pronation and flat feet that is causing pain that sometimes prevent her from playing?

5 doctors weighed in across 3 answers
Dr. David Hettinger answered

Specializes in Podiatry

May need orthotics: See a podiatrist for a recommendation on if orthotics could be right for you. If you want to try an over-the-coubter product first, try spenco total support insoles. http://www.spenco.com/products/footcare/total-support-insoles all podiatrists are trained in this type of service. If the situation continues and is becoming more painful, then you should get a surgical consultation.

Answered 6/24/2014

5.2k views

Dr. Jeffery VanYperen answered

Specializes in Podiatry

Depends: It all depends on the severity of the deformity, as well as whether it is flexible or rigid. If it is a flexible deformity, a good pair of orthotics can help to maintain better alignment and help with pain and fatigue. For severe deformities, surgical options should be considered. Arthroeresis is usually the option, as the patient is not skeletally mature enough for major reconstruction.

Answered 5/5/2015

5.2k views

Dr. Thomas Inwood answered

Specializes in Podiatry

Pronation: The first thing to do is see your podiatrist , get x rays taken and discuss this. If it is a flexible deformity orthotics usually help . If not then a surgical consult is in order. Good luck.

Answered 9/29/2016

4.9k views