can you gain weight with stomach cancer?

Dr. Andrew Turrisi
Radiation Oncology 47 years experience
Usually gastric: Cancer, treated or not, causes weight loss. Can you gain weight? Anything is possible, but this would not be likely or predictable.

What stage colon cancer has symptoms of blood in the ostomy pouch?

Dr. Mark Hoepfner
General Surgery 39 years experience
None: Blood in an ostomy punch can be many things. Is it a colostomy or ileostomy? Why was the surgery done, history cancer or diverticulitis or colitis? How long ago was the ostomy surgery? Bleeding does indicate need for a doctor evaluation. Can be ostomy appliance irritation, colitis, etc. There is no cancer staging associated with intestinal bleeding.

What kind of bleeding do colon polyps / cancer show?

Pathology 49 years experience
Occult/hidden: Most of the time there is no visible blood. Testing for bleeding lesions requires testing for occult blood, fecal occult blood test (fbot). There is more than one method. If is recommended that this test be done three times each year on persons over the age of 50, unless they have undergone colonoscopy.

What is the best way to loose weight with out going a diet? I'm having a very time getting this weight off of me 5'9 at 242 it all in the belly...

Dr. William Forsythe
Emergency Medicine 27 years experience
Exercise : Adding exercise and self control by reducing portion intake and eating the right foods while counting calories is best. Increase fruit and fiber intake if not eating enough. Take a yoga course or start swimming if not already. Good, low impact exercises. If considering surgical options, know that the best procedures and surgtons usually require that one starts losing weight first.
Union City, NJ

I have Crohn's and take oxycodone. I have never gotten back to my normal weight after my initial surgery. Can oxycodone be a factor to this?

Dr. Troy Reyna
Pediatric Surgery 44 years experience
Probably not: Oxycodone is effective for pain control and slowing down intestinal motility which can b rapid in crohn's.

When I bend over sometimes I get sharp pain in upper abdomen?

Dr. Jason Bodzin
General Surgery 51 years experience
Probably muscular: Many people have spasm in the rectus abdomenus muscles when bending over to tie shoes or put on socks. The way to avoid this is to bring the foot up to the seat and do it. Breathe deep at the same time. If he pain is more internal, see a gastroenterologist and see if you have ge reflux. The treatment is usually medical.

Last updated Jun 5, 2019