Rockville, MD

I am allergic to keflex & penicillin. is neosporin still ok to use on my skin?

Dr. Janet Turkle
Plastic Surgery 36 years experience
Yes: Neither of your allergies are related to neosporin.
Created for people with ongoing healthcare needs but benefits everyone.
Dr. Michael Zacharisen
Allergy and Immunology 34 years experience
Yes: Keflex is a cephalosporin and a "cousin" to penicillin. Neosporin contains neomycin and Polymyxin B and bacitracin. These are chemically not related to Keflex or penicillin. There should be no reaction. Some people will go on to develop allergic reactions to neomycin.
Dr. Michael Fisher
Dermatology 33 years experience
Neosporin: People have a tendency to assume that neosporin does not cause side effects because it is a widely available and frequently used nonprescription product. However, this is simply not the case. In fact, many healthcare providers now recommend that people avoid products with neomycin (including neosporin), as neomycin is more likely than most other antibiotics to cause allergic reactions.