U.S. doctors online nowAsk doctors free
A 39-year-old female asked:

I suffered a perforated ulcer for 36 hrs 1 yr ago. i have ulcers again while on script prilosec, not otc, 2 x day. h-pylori neg. what else can i try?

2 doctor answers4 doctors weighed in
Dr. Charles Cattano
Gastroenterology 40 years experience
Second ulcer serious: If you've had surgery to correct a perforated ulcer, and you now have recurrent ulcer symptoms refractory to full-dose prilosec, please seek medical attention. Also, at this time, stop taking aspirin, advil, aleve, (naproxen) ibuprofen, Motrin (unless under doctor's advice), avoid tobacco and alcohol. Recurrent ulcer disease raises concern for an underlying cause that needs evaluation and correction.
Dr. Charles Cattano
Gastroenterology 40 years experience
Provided original answer
You are getting conflicting information from well-meaning practitioners. pH testing can assess the efficacy of acid suppression; serum gastrin testing can check for excess acid production; gastric emptying scanning can see if your stomach retains food too long. Sometimes diseases outside the stomach (like bile ducts, gallbladder, pancreas) can mimic ulcers. See a GI specialist you trust.
Jan 29, 2012
Dr. Yash Khanna
Family Medicine 58 years experience
Peptic ulcer: You can try ppis high doses and Carafate (sucralfate) 1gm four times a day.Discuss it with your doctor as it is a prescription drug.

90,000 U.S. doctors in 147 specialties are here to answer your questions or offer you advice, prescriptions, and more. Get help now:

Ask doctors free
Educational text
Talk to a doctor
24/7 visits - just $39!
50% off with $15/month membership
Last updated Sep 28, 2016


Content on HealthTap (including answers) should not be used for medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment, and interactions on HealthTap do not create a doctor-patient relationship. Never disregard or delay professional medical advice in person because of anything on HealthTap. Call your doctor or 911 if you think you may have a medical emergency.