Is a needle sedation in the throat for a thyroid biopsy (before the procedure begins) the normal way to go. i am healthy 74 year old woman)?

Dr. David Sneid
Endocrinology 42 years experience
Local anesthesia: Usually only a local anesthetic is used to numb the skin and area immediately beneath. That's all that is generally required.
Created for people with ongoing healthcare needs but benefits everyone.
Dr. Samer Nakhle
undefined 31 years experience
Typically this is an in-office procedure that does not require needle sedation. A topical analgesic is apply a few minutes before the biopsy
Mar 13, 2013
Dr. Stephanie Lee
42 years experience
Thyroid: I think you are asking if local anesthesia (numbing medication) given by an injection is used before a thyroid needle biopsy. I always do but some of my colleagues do not. Suggest you ask before scheduling an appointment.
Last updated Jul 5, 2015