I had gout with a 8.8 reading. i took allopurinol and it went down to 6.3. my doctor wants me to take the expensive uloric. i do not. am i corrrect?

Dr. Ronald Krauser
Rheumatology 53 years experience
You are correct: You probably are not taking enough of an Allopurinol dose. I would suggest increasing the dose to yield a serum uric acid no greater than 6 mg/dl.
Dr. Joseph Newman
Podiatry 33 years experience
It depends: If you have a history of recurrent or chronic gout, or if you continue to have symptoms your doctor might want a better way to treat your gout. Uric acid levels can be of value, but have to be considered with your clinical findings, and x-rays. In my experience, Allopurinol is a time tested, safe and effective medication for gout, but there is no one way to treat all gout. Hope this helps!