U.S. doctors online nowAsk doctors free
A 46-year-old member asked:

I hurt my tricep, elbow. index and middle finger numb. index finger purp under nail. what should i do? seen doc nerve test monday. any other suggestio?

5 doctor answers14 doctors weighed in
Dr. James Zasuly
Plastic Surgery 29 years experience
See hand specialist: May be some nerve damage, usually transient. Would see a hand and upper extremity specialist; most doctors unfamiliar with nerves.
Dr. Michael Matthew
Plastic Surgery 22 years experience
Careful of the nail.: The distribution is note classic for a radial nerve injury, which from the location of your trauma is the most likely to have been injured. The purple underneath the nailplate is a hematoma and unless it has drained on its own can cause problems. If you are in alot of pain at that site get it drained soon.
Dr. Jane Chung
Plastic Surgery 33 years experience
Nerve injury: It depends on how severe the nerve injury is. You must see the specialist.
Dr. Otto Placik
Surgery - Plastics 35 years experience
Poss nerve injury: It sounds as if you have a soft tissue injury and i assume you have had an x-ray. Do all you can to relieve swelling such as rest, ice, and elevation while waiting to see your doctor. Avoid Aspirin products.
Dr. Ralph Morgan Lewis
Family Medicine 39 years experience
Subungual hematoma: Agree with other docs about being seen. As far as the blood (hematoma) under the index fingernail, you can leave it alone, relieve it with a red-hot paperclip (don't burn yourself) by touching it lightly to the nail; it will penetrate quickly and blood will ooze out, relieving pressure & pain. Or, you can wait until see specialist who may relieve the pressure with a special tool.
Last updated Dec 25, 2014


Content on HealthTap (including answers) should not be used for medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment, and interactions on HealthTap do not create a doctor-patient relationship. Never disregard or delay professional medical advice in person because of anything on HealthTap. Call your doctor or 911 if you think you may have a medical emergency.