what does hypo mean on thyroid ultrasound?

Dr. Brad Eilerman
Endocrinology 20 years experience
Hypoechoic: Hypo in ultrasound refers to hypoechoic -- meaning low density. The signicance varies by the rest of the description of the ultrasound.
Dr. Susan Wingo
Endocrinology 33 years experience
Fewer echoes on US: Hypoechoic describes the appearance of a nodule on ultrasound (us). It refers to a nodule that reflects back fewer sound waves compared to the normal thyroid tissue around it. While most thyroid cancers are hypoechoic, most hypoechoic nodules are not cancers. But a hypoechoic nodule may have a slightly higher risk of being a cancer than other nodules.