A 43-year-old member asked:

How does one get rid of mrsa and how are the swollen , pus filled areas cared for?

1 doctor answer2 doctors weighed in
Dr. Diixa Patel
Internal Medicine - Infectious Disease 18 years experience
Drainage and hygiene: If your infection is recurrent , an antibacterial wash such as Chlorhexidine can reduce the amount of bacteria on your skin and help prevent further infections. Pus filled areas need to be drained as antibiotics alone will not help. A culture of the pus can be taken to see which antibiotic the infection is susceptible to if the drainage does not adequately treat it. Good hand hygiene also helps.
Created for people with ongoing healthcare needs but benefits everyone.
Last updated May 4, 2017


Content on HealthTap (including answers) should not be used for medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment, and interactions on HealthTap do not create a doctor-patient relationship. Never disregard or delay professional medical advice in person because of anything on HealthTap. Call your doctor or 911 if you think you may have a medical emergency.