U.S. doctors online nowAsk doctors free
A 47-year-old male asked:

My blood sugar fasting is 98, ppl sugar 162 and hba1c is 6.7. should i need to take medicine? or dieting and exercise is enough?

1 doctor answer1 doctor weighed in
Dr. Thomas Namey
Rheumatology 49 years experience
Can't say for sure!: Rigid adherence to a low carb lifestyle would directly improve your situation, but the weight loss which would occur would benefit you as well. Exercise as well! i would still put you on metformin for better glycemic control. It will also help weight and cholesterol, while lowering a1c!

90,000 U.S. doctors in 147 specialties are here to answer your questions or offer you advice, prescriptions, and more. Get help now:

Ask doctors free
Educational text
Talk to a doctor
24/7 visits - just $39!
50% off with $15/month membership

Related questions

A 29-year-old female asked:
1 doctor answer1 doctor weighed in
A 17-year-old female asked about a 58-year-old male:
1 doctor answer1 doctor weighed in
A 33-year-old member asked:
1 doctor answer1 doctor weighed in
Last updated Dec 9, 2013


Content on HealthTap (including answers) should not be used for medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment, and interactions on HealthTap do not create a doctor-patient relationship. Never disregard or delay professional medical advice in person because of anything on HealthTap. Call your doctor or 911 if you think you may have a medical emergency.