OH

i have a lump on my thumb joint and swelling. using my hand causes shooting pain in the thumb. xray normal. test to determine cause? type of dr?

Dr. Hill Hastings
Orthopedic Surgery 47 years experience
Likely trigger thumb: If the lump is on the palmar side of your thumb by the web space it is likely "stenosing tenosynovitis" or "trigger thumb" this can cause clicking or locking. It may respond to a steroid injection. If not siimple release under local anesthesia is immediately corrective.
Dr. Todd Sisto
Breast Surgery 37 years experience
Hand surgeon: Plastic or ortho. Probably need only exam then surgry.
Pathology 49 years experience
Need to examine: It is not feasible to provide a meaningful opinion without additional history, physical examination and may be some tests. In addition to other suggestions, gout should be ruled out.
Dr. Donald Colantino
Thumb joint: Your best bet is to contact a hand surgeon for diagnosis and treatment. Joint lump could be caused by a ganglion cyst and joint swelling may be due to trauma or arthritis.