U.S. doctors online nowAsk doctors free
A 23-year-old male asked:

I have minus 1 on both my eyes for past 9 yrs. is it possible to get normal. what therapy should i take?

3 doctor answers5 doctors weighed in
Dr. Alan Jackson
Addiction Medicine 31 years experience
Myopia: This - 1.00 is only correctable with contacts, glasses or even lasik. The best method of correction depends on your needs and age. Contacts would work well but with them you may have blurry near vision requiring glasses for near. Minus one is not very a very strong power.
Dr. Jeffrey Kalt
Ophthalmology 35 years experience
LASIK: The only treatment for your -1.00 myopia, other than glasses or contacts, is refractive surgery. Lasik and prk are both excellent refractive laser procedures that can correct your prescription with virtually 99% accuracy. As long as your prescription hasn't changed for 2 years, and your cornea checks out normal, you should be a very good candidate for laser surgery.
Dr. Richard Witlin
LASIK Surgery 47 years experience
Non-surgical option: For low degrees of myopia, some optometrists have had good luck with orthokeratology, a specialized system of contact lens fitting. While lasik or prk can easily correct your low degree of myopia, orthokeratology might work if you can find an optometrist who is experienced with this technique.
Last updated Oct 7, 2013


Content on HealthTap (including answers) should not be used for medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment, and interactions on HealthTap do not create a doctor-patient relationship. Never disregard or delay professional medical advice in person because of anything on HealthTap. Call your doctor or 911 if you think you may have a medical emergency.