i threw up an hour after taking azithromycin. will it still work. it's the ones for chlamydia?

Dr. Dennis Clifford
A Verified Doctor answered
A US doctor answered Learn more
Nausea: The most common side effect of Azithromycin is nausea and vomiting. If you vomit after one hour it's likely that you didn't absorb the dose and need a different type of antibiotic.
Dr. Martin Raff
Dr. Martin Raff commented
Infectious Disease 56 years experience
Or you might try taking it with a little food in the stomach.
Feb 26, 2013
Dr. William Harris
Cross your fingers!: You should have had enough time to absorb the 4 pills in the hour before your threw up, so it should still work. I always worry with these one-time treatments that something like this will happen, but in this case, i think you're ok. Be sure to have your partner(s) treated as well, so you don't start the round-robin thing...
Dr. John Munshower
It depends: If you threw up the medication, it may not have had time to be digested and systemically absorbed to be actively treating your infection. Get re-tested to be safe and you may need re-treating, assure your sexual partner has been treated too, or you will get re-infected.