U.S. doctors online nowAsk doctors free
A 34-year-old male asked:

I have a rash looking thing on my foot on the top of the foot its very itchy and sore its red brown color my foot feels very swollen. but its not?

2 doctor answers3 doctors weighed in
Dr. Stewart Jones
Podiatry 26 years experience
Athletes Foot: Not every foot rash is af, but it is the most common. It can cause rash, blisters, burning, itching, and crusting. Start by using an otc antifungal cream such as clotrimazole, otc cortisone cream for the itch, breathable /wicking shoes and socks. Keep feet clean and dry, especially between toes. Powders are good to dust toes and in shoes. If no improvement after a week-see a doctor.
Created for people with ongoing healthcare needs but benefits everyone.
Dr. David Hettinger
Podiatry 38 years experience
Acute athlete's foot: The first thing that comes to mind is that this is one of the presentations of acute athlete's foot. Use drying soaks (epsom salts or dilute vinegar) and a topical antifungal... I prefer patients use lotrimin ultra or Lamisil (terbinafine) cream. You can use certain-dry pads or solutions to decrease perspiration. If this doesn't work, see a podiatrist and be sure to inform them of what you have tried already.
Created for people with ongoing healthcare needs but benefits everyone.
Last updated Jun 26, 2014


Content on HealthTap (including answers) should not be used for medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment, and interactions on HealthTap do not create a doctor-patient relationship. Never disregard or delay professional medical advice in person because of anything on HealthTap. Call your doctor or 911 if you think you may have a medical emergency.