U.S. doctors online nowAsk doctors free
A 18-year-old male asked:

i had eye floaters after i collided with my friend in school. its bout 3 and half yrs now. so how do i get rid of this floaters ? without surgery.

4 doctor answers5 doctors weighed in
Dr. Jeffrey Kalt
Ophthalmology 34 years experience
Vitreous floaters: Floaters are caused by changes in the vitreous gel of the eye usually due to aging, but sometimes due to trauma as in your case. New floaters, especially those associated with light flashes need to be evaluated right away in order to make sure there is no retinal tear or detachment. Floaters that have been stable for 3 years are most likely not problematic, despite being annoying.
Dr. Keshav Narain
Retinal Surgery 29 years experience
Difficult: Sometimes, ophthalmologists can use a yag laser to zap a floater or two. For larger more dense floaters, surgery could be used but carries risk of cataract (clouding of your natural lens) and infection. At your age, i would recommend waiting to see if the floaters clear.
Dr. Jonathan Levin
Ophthalmology 14 years experience
No good way: Unfortunately there is no good way to get rid of floaters without surgery. When your eye doctor looks inside your eye, he/she will always see the floaters, but your brain hopefully learns to ignore them after time. There are a few doctors who will try to remove them with laser. Someday, you may be able to get a shot in your eye to remove them. But without surgery to remove them, no good way.
Dr. Michael Ham
Ophthalmology 27 years experience
Floaters: Floaters are caused by the vitreous (jelly in the eye) detaching from the retina (typically a normal change in the aging eye). The vitreous clumps up or develops blurry areas within the jelly causing your floater. If when the vitreous changes, causing floaters, if the retina is torn you are at risk for a retinal detachment. You should have an examination. Tx: time, and possibly surgery.

90,000 U.S. doctors in 147 specialties are here to answer your questions or offer you advice, prescriptions, and more. Get help now:

Ask doctors free
Personalized answers
Talk to a doctor
$30 per visit with

Similar questions

A 47-year-old member asked:

Prevent malaria best with doxycycline or mefloquine if travelling abroad?

1 doctor answer3 doctors weighed in
Dr. Joel Gallant
Infectious Disease 36 years experience
Depends: The choice of prophylaxis is based in part on where you're going and the resistance patterns of the malaria in the area. The cdc has a good website that discusses this issue based on region or country. When in doubt, see a travel medicine specialist.
A 51-year-old female asked:

I was in an accident 3months ago had X-ray of my neck due to whiplash. I've been seeing a chiropractor but it still hurts. Should I get an mri?

2 doctor answers3 doctors weighed in
Dr. Thomas Dowling
Orthopedic Spine Surgery 40 years experience
Yes if not improved: If you are still hurting without any real improvement or if it is feeling worse, then a MRI would be indicated unless the pain is mild and not affecting your life.
A 53-year-old female asked:

I suffer with chrohns and I have a colostomy and the skin around the stoma burns so bad that it brings tears to my eyes. Do you have any suggestions?

2 doctor answers5 doctors weighed in
Dr. David Wishnew
Wound care 42 years experience
Peristomal wound: When i see a patient who has difficulties with peristomal wound or pain, i generally try to ascertain cause. Usually, if there is no underlying pathology, the skin is irritated by the adhesive. Using a hydrocolloid dressing beneath the adhesive may reduce the difficulties.
A member asked:

Thick nasal mucus - I have to blow my nose very hard to get the plug feeling out, it is commonly very thick, white (not clear). Should I be concern?

1 doctor answer1 doctor weighed in
Dr. Jeffrey Pollard
ENT and Head and Neck Surgery 21 years experience
Thick nasal mucus: Thick nasal mucus can be related to sinusitis, but not necessarily. If you have chronic allergies or recurrent infections you should consult a doctor who can identify if there is an opportunity to improve nasal inflammation with sprays or treat infection with antibiotics. You may benefit from good nasal hygiene as well which involves using salt water rinses to clear mucus and allergens.
Saint Cloud, FL
A 30-year-old male asked:

If I had a seizure 14 years ago in my sleep with my eyes just rolling no convulsions what kind would that be all my records were lost?

2 doctor answers3 doctors weighed in
Dr. William Goldie
Pediatric Neurology 48 years experience
Back off: Jeff - please find yourself a good doctor to talk to face to face. Do not keep sending the same questions. Set your mind at ease and resolve your conflicts. That will be the only way to resolve your concerns!

90,000 U.S. doctors in 147 specialties are here to answer your questions or offer you advice, prescriptions, and more. Get help now:

Ask doctors free
Personalized answers
Talk to a doctor
$30 per visit with
Last updated Mar 14, 2016
Connect with a U.S. board-certified doctor by text or video anytime, anywhere.
$30 per visit with


Content on HealthTap (including answers) should not be used for medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment, and interactions on HealthTap do not create a doctor-patient relationship. Never disregard or delay professional medical advice in person because of anything on HealthTap. Call your doctor or 911 if you think you may have a medical emergency.