U.S. doctors online nowAsk doctors free
Orlando, FL
A 34-year-old female asked:

On 8-5-2012, i was diagnosed with bilateral pe (pulmonary embolism). i was on medicine till january at which time i ran out. i can't afford to see a doctor. is it ok?

4 doctor answers6 doctors weighed in
Dr. Nick (Donald) Morrison
Phlebology 31 years experience
No: You need to wear medical support stockings right away to prevent more deep vein thrombosis which can cause pe and need your blood thinners until your octor says to stop. Please ask friends or relatives to help or a charity / medicaid hospital ... Please.
Dr. Richard Sanders
General Surgery 68 years experience
No: Pulmonary emboli at age 34 should not be left alone. The cause should be determined by diagnostic testing and treated. This can be serious and even fatal.
Dr. Thomas Wright
Phlebology 30 years experience
See a doctor: Pulmonary embolism is a very serious and the blood thinner that was prescribed helps prevent recurrence. Stopping the blood thinner early increases the risk of recurrence. As dr morrison pointed out there is many charities and assistance programs that will pay for meds or care for patients who are struggling financially so dont let be a barrier. Please follow up. Good luck!
Dr. Ted King
A Verified Doctoranswered
41 years experience
Please don't do that: I couldn't agree more with the other doctors who have responded. Please don't sit on this. There is financial assistance that is available. You have had a very serious medical problem that requires close attention. I can't emphasize enough to you the importance of your getting follow-up care.
Last updated Sep 28, 2016


Content on HealthTap (including answers) should not be used for medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment, and interactions on HealthTap do not create a doctor-patient relationship. Never disregard or delay professional medical advice in person because of anything on HealthTap. Call your doctor or 911 if you think you may have a medical emergency.