The Colony, TX

Had foley put in for urinary retention after my tlh. nothing done to find cause. gyn is treating me for this. is gyn capable or should i see urology?

Dr. Ron Eaker
Specializes in Obstetrics and Gynecology
Not uncommon: Urinary retention after surgery is not that uncommon. It should be temporary (less than a week) and if not , it is not unreasonable to request a consult with a urologist.
Dr. Richard Sarle
Urology 22 years experience
Retention: Sometimes a person can't pee after surgery; this can just resolve soon after the procedure but if it doesn't then a uriologist gets called in.
Dr. Michael Michaels
Urology 53 years experience
Wait: It is possible you went in retention after your hysterectomy as a side effect of narcotic pain medication. I am just saying a possibility. Talk to the gynecologist. Chances are he or she will remove the catheter and give you a trial voiding. It does not sound serious.
Dr. Spencer Long
Dr. Spencer Longanswered
Specializes in Urology
Try again: Urinary retention after surgery is not uncommon. However, if urination does not return to normal after about 10 days, see a urologist.

Last updated Dec 16, 2016