PA

how to tape a broken toe?

Dr. Kenneth Cheng
Next biggest toe: A broken toe, assuming it is not a complicated fracture and not the big toe, is usually treated by taping the affected toe to the next bigger toe. Caution should be used to not tape the toes too tightly together. Best to consult with your doctor to confirm the diagnosis.
Dr. Frank Holmes
Sports Medicine 23 years experience
Buddy tape: For broken toes other than the big toe, i usually recommend buddy taping to the adjacent toe. Use medical type tape and. Place the tape past the joint connecting the foot and the toe (metatarsophalangeal joint). Some need/prefer to put a little bit of cotton between the toes to avoid skin friction. Big toe injuries usually require more advanced treatment.
Dr. Jeffrey Kass
Podiatry 28 years experience
Carefully: i like using coban or coflex and to just wrap that particular toe. I do not buddy splint the toe as many recommend.
Dr. Scott Keith
Dr. Scott Keith commented
Podiatry 44 years experience
Wrapping an individual toe works fine in most cases, but some times using a second toe as the buddy just feels better. If tape is the only material you have , I often use a modified basket weave wrap.
Jul 19, 2015
Dr. Yash Khanna
Tape it to next toe: Only way you can tape is called Buddy Taping. In this you tape it to the next normal toe and has been always done for minor undisplaced fractures of the tor
Dr. Meeta Pancholi
Podiatry 26 years experience
Tape to next toe: taping a broken toe next to the neighboring toe helps to stabilize it while healing