A 34-year-old member asked:
Sniffing alcohol is it bad?
2 doctor answers • 6 doctors weighed in
Psychiatry 30 years experience
Yes: Rubbing alcohol is a poison that should not be inhaled or consumed. It is to be used on the skin to clean a wound. It can cause severe metabolic problems and even death if ingested. Ethyl or drinking alcohol should also not be inhaled. The intoxication that occurs from its inhalation can also be fatal.
6.1k viewsReviewed >2 years ago
A Verified Doctoranswered
Yes: Alcohol, when inhaled, bypasses the stomach (where some is lost in absorbtion) and more importantly bypasses the liver, where it is metabolized, so higher alcohol levels are achieved more quickly, which increases its toxicity, both in terms of the brain (driving, impaired reflexes, behavior problems) and elsewhere - liver, heart, pancreas etc. Talk to your health care provider about problems.
4.9k viewsAnswered >2 years ago
Last updated Oct 16, 2020
Connect with a U.S. board-certified doctor by text or video anytime, anywhere.
24/7 visits - just $39!
50% off with $15/month membership
Content on HealthTap (including answers) should not be used for medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment, and interactions on HealthTap do not create a doctor-patient relationship. Never disregard or delay professional medical advice in person because of anything on HealthTap. Call your doctor or 911 if you think you may have a medical emergency.