Vernon, NY

can being pregnant 5 damage your back and pelvic bone i have horrible lower back pain and pelvic pain my dr is sending me for x-ray . just worried?

Dr. Timothy Brown
Some risk: Pregnancy definitely puts an extra strain on your back and pelvis because of carrying extra weight and changing your center of gravity. It is much more likely to aggravate a preexisting problem than to cause new damage. Even then it is your discomfort only and not a threat to the baby. Just be certain that you are not mistaking contractions for a back problem.
Dr. Randy Baker
Holistic Medicine 40 years experience
Worry about X-Ray!: Yes, you can hurt your back when pregnant, but i'd avoid any x-rays of that area while pregnant because your baby will be exposed to x-ray radiation-this is esp. Dangerous to a developing baby. I would advise physical therapy/conservative treatment first & a MRI (no radiation) if you don't improve. Also consider seeing an osteopath who does manipulation- http://physician.Academyofosteopathy.Org/.
Dr. PETER Stanfield
Pregnant: It would not damage it but it would cause stress of ligaments with the consequent pain.

Last updated Oct 4, 2016