what are the distinguishing characteristics of a migraine?

Neurology 52 years experience
Some symptoms: Auras can include several minutes of bright spots before eyes, loss of vision to one side, problems with numbness and speech expression. Headache itself is unilateral, throbbing, associated with nausea and/or vomiting, sensitivity to light and noise, duration of headache about 4-6 hrs or longer.
Dr. Brett Noorda
Dentistry 25 years experience
Too many: Too many to list here. Simply do an internet search for "migraine symptoms" and you'll get access to multiple good sites that will answer this question. Two good ones (among many) are webmd and mayo clinic.