how should you treat a sprained wrist?

Dr. Michael Bolesta
Orthopedic Surgery 40 years experience
Depends: It depends on severity of the sprain. Mild strains need splinting for a short period of time (if at all) and medication for pain. More severe sprains may need longer bracing or even surgery. See a hand specialist for an assessment of your own situation. Untreated sprains can lead to future problems unless they are mild.
Dr. Jeffrey Visotsky
Occupational Medicine 36 years experience
Wrist sprain: Rest , ice, compression and elevation. Brace for support and compression . Ice and elevation to treat pain and swelling. If not improved overnight seek medical care.