U.S. doctors online nowAsk doctors free
Moorhead, MN
A 20-year-old male asked:

I'm 20 years old and dislocated my shoulder swimming. mri indicates a bankart tear of the labrum. is surgery necessary for me to return to weightliftg?

2 doctor answers4 doctors weighed in
Dr. Boris Aronzon
Anesthesiology 25 years experience
Most likely: Contact orthopedic surgeon specializing in shoulder arthroscopic procedures. Without seeing your MRI and examining you it is impossible to make surgical decision.
Dr. Vivek Agrawal
Orthopedic Surgery 32 years experience
Feb 27, 2013
Dr. Shari Jackson
Radiology 22 years experience
Be careful: Once you have dislocated your shoulder, it can become unstable, and you may be prone to future dislocations. An orthopedic surgeon or sports medicine doctor can evaluate your injury (by physical exam and looking at your mri) and determine what level of activity you should have and if/when surgery might be needed.
Last updated Jun 10, 2014


Content on HealthTap (including answers) should not be used for medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment, and interactions on HealthTap do not create a doctor-patient relationship. Never disregard or delay professional medical advice in person because of anything on HealthTap. Call your doctor or 911 if you think you may have a medical emergency.