A member asked:

Negative allergy skin testing. are there any tests available that identify food sensitivities? follow restricted diet but fear reintro. [airway hx]

6 doctors weighed in across 2 answers
Dr. Johnnie Strickland Jr answered

Specializes in Family Medicine

YES: It is called leap testing and is available in some physicians offices you may have to call around to see who has it. This test looks as leukocyte activity with a very large number of foods. Some insurances will pay for it with specific diagnoses.The cost for this test is $600-$800 out of pocket if your insurance doesnt' cover it.

Answered 2/4/2019


Dr. Robert Kwok answered

Specializes in Pediatrics

Blood tests, etc...: Children can be tested by blood tests (any regular lab can do it) or by skin tests (usually done by an allergist). There are hundreds of items that can be tested for, to see if an allergy exists to such items. A parent needs to talk with the doctor to figure out which items should be tested for. The doctor may do food re-introductions with single-ingredient foods, to see if any reaction occurs.

Answered 12/9/2013



Related Questions

Online Primary Care Doctors Accepting New Patients

$44 video appointments available today with a membership as low as $15/month

Book a Video Appointment
Ask your question
Didn't find what you're looking for?

90,000 U.S. doctors in 147 specialties are here to answer your questions or offer you advice, prescriptions, and more.

Ask your question